You are here

Planet Ubuntu

Subscribe to Feed Planet Ubuntu
Planet Ubuntu -
Përditësimi: 3 months 2 javë më parë

David Tomaschik: Security Is Not an Absolute

Hën, 05/02/2018 - 9:00pd

If there’s one thing I wish people from outside the security industry knew when dealing with information security, it’s that Security is not an absolute. Most of the time, it’s not even quantifiable. Even in the case of particular threat models, it’s often impossible to make statements about the security of a system with certainty.


Jono Bacon: Open Collaboration Conference CFP Now Open

Hën, 05/02/2018 - 8:27pd

Earlier last year I announced last year that I was partnering up with the Linux Foundation to create the Open Community Conference as part of their Open Source Summit events in North America and Europe.

Well, the events happened, and it was (in my humble opinion) an enormous success. We had 120+ papers submitted to the North American event and 85+ papers submitted to the European event. From there I whittled it down to around 40 sessions for each event which resulted in some fantastic content and incredible discussions/networking.

Not only was I delighted with the eagerness of people to speak, but we also had a tremendously diverse range of people submitting from a range of genders, backgrounds, cultures, experience levels, and beyond. I was proud to see this, and I am similarly proud to see the fantastically diverse attendees we have at the Community Leadership Summit each year (note: CFP is open there too). So, thanks to everyone who submitted, and sorry we couldn’t squeeze you all in to speak.

A Name Change: Open Collaboration Conference

I am delighted to announce we are doing it all again, with one small change: the name.

As the event has evolved, I have wanted it to incorporate as many elements focused on people collaborating together. While one component of this is certainly people building communities, other elements such as governance, remote working, innersource, cultural development, and more fit under the banner of “collaboration”, but don’t necessarily fit under the traditional banner of “community”.

As such, we decided to change the name of the conference to the Open Collaboration Conference. I am confident this will then provide both a home to the community strategy and tactics content, as well as these other related areas. This way the entire event services as a comprehensive capsule for collaboration in technology.

Call For Papers

So, I wanted to let you all know the key details right now of how to get involved in the events. Firstly, when the events are (as part of the Open Source Summit):

As usual, there is a deadline for the call for papers and they are:

  • North America – 29th April 2018
  • Europe – 1st July 2018

In terms of topics, I encourage you all submit papers that relate to:

  • Open Source Metrics
  • Incentivization and Engagement
  • Software Development Methodologies and Platforms
  • Building Internal Innersource Communities
  • Remote Team Management and Methods
  • Bug/Issue Management and Triage
  • Communication Platforms and Methods
  • Open Source Governance and Models
  • Mentoring and Training
  • Event Strategy
  • Content Management and Social Media
  • DevOps Culture
  • Community Management
  • Advocacy and Evangelism
  • Government and Compliance

I look forward to seeing you submissions and seeing you there!

The post Open Collaboration Conference CFP Now Open appeared first on Jono Bacon.

Costales: Ubucon Europe 2018: Last call for papers & current status event

Dje, 04/02/2018 - 1:36md
You're on time for submit a conference, workshop, stand or podcast for the next Ubucon!!

Main room. With no edits ;) Just checking things in situ for April
We're working hard for the next Ubucon Europe 2018 and we would like to tell you the current status:

  • Official webpage updated. 
  • You have especial discounts for your travel in bus, train and hotel. More info here.
  • The conferences will be for free. 
  • Social event of Saturday: It will be a traditional espicha. If you are coming, you need to pay that dinner in advance as soon as possible, because there are limited places! More info here.
  • You can follow the last news here: Telegram, Twitter, Google + & Facebook.
  • We'll publish the complete schedule soon.

Colin King: stress-ng V0.09.15

Sht, 03/02/2018 - 6:28md
It has been a while since my last post about stress-ng so I thought it would be useful to provide an update on the changes since V0.08.09.

I have been focusing on making stress-ng more portable so it can build with various versions of clang and gcc as well as run against a wide range of kernels.   The portability shims and config detection added to stress-ng allow it to build and run on a wide range of Linux systems, as well as GNU/HURD, Minix, Debian kFreeBSD, various BSD systems, OpenIndiana and OS X.

Enabling stress-ng to work on a wide range of architectures and kernels with a range of compiler versions has helped me to find and fix various corner case bugs.  Also, static analysis with a various set of tools has helped to drive up the code quality. As ever, I thoroughly recommend using static analysis tools on any project to find bugs.

Since V0.08.09 I've added the following stressors:
  • inode-flags  - (using the FS_IOC_GETFLAGS/FS_IOC_SETFLAGS ioctl, see ioctl_iflags(2) for more details.
  • sockdiag - exercise the Linux sock_diag netlink socket diagnostics
  • branch - exercise branch prediction
  • swap - exercise adding and removing variously sized swap partitions
  • ioport - exercise I/O port read/writes to try and cause CPU I/O bus delays
  • hrtimers - high resolution timer stressor
  • physpage - exercise the lookup of a physical page address and page count of a virtual page
  • mmapaddr - mmap pages to randomly unused VM addresses and exercise mincore and segfault handling
  • funccall - exercise function calling with a range of function arguments types and sizes, for benchmarking stack/CPU/cache and compiler.
  • tree - BSD tree (red/black and splay) stressor, good for exercising memory/cache
  • rawdev - exercise raw block device I/O reads
  • revio - reverse file offset random writes, causes lots of fragmentation and hence many file extents
  • mmap-fixed - stress fixed address mmaps, with a wide range of VM addresses
  • enosys - exercise a wide range of random system call numbers that are not wired up, hence generating ENOSYS errors
  • sigpipe - stress SIGPIPE signal generation and handling
  • vm-addr - exercise a wide range of VM addresses for fixed address mmaps with thorough address bit patterns stressing
Stress-ng has nearly 200 stressors and many of these have various stress methods than can be selected to perform specific stress testing.  These are all documented in the manual.  I've also updated the stress-ng project page with various links to academic papers and presentations that have used stress-ng in various ways to stress computer systems.  It is useful to find out how stress-ng is being used so that I can shape this tool in the future.

As ever, patches for fixes and improvements are always appreciated.  Keep on stressing!

Carla Sella

Sht, 03/02/2018 - 2:50md

Ubuntu Insights: Snapcraft Summit summary – day 5

Sht, 03/02/2018 - 6:54pd

This Snapcraft Summit is coming to an end. We had five days full of hard and fun work, together with many friends from many other projects that are part of our ecosystem.

It was amazing to see the kind of collaboration that snapcraft brings to the Linux world. The engineering, advocacy, desktop and design teams of snapcraft spent every day working next to developers from Microsoft, Skype, Slack, Electron, CircleCI, Plex and ROSHub on improving the experience to deliver their applications continuously, in a way that fits perfectly into their release process and that will make their users feel secure and confident. It was great to see the mix of languages, cultures and operating systems, all working together to solve this common delivery problem, now with a tool that is very open and welcoming, and that evolves quickly as new applications bring new requirements.

We are making packaging a problem of the past, so developers can just focus on the exciting part of the job: writing features. This week ended with a lot of improvements to get us there. Sergio was supposed to summarize what happened on Thursday, but has instead been hard at work preparing those improvements to be released in snapcraft 2.39, coming to an automatic update near you early next week. So we’ll excuse him, and I’ll summarize the things that happened on these last two days.

Kyle is in the middle of a deployment provider for Travis, that will make it super simple to release applications to the Snap Store for projects already using Travis for their CI. He also vastly improved the way we generate the snapcraft docker images. He also worked on a super-secret, soon-to-be released snap, more good news coming soon!

Leo started experimenting with a new language: typescript, with a new snap that was a nice proof of concept: tslint. He met with members of other teams at Canonical to make a big improvement on the testing infrastructure for snapcraft itself, focusing on tests that will run on Mac and Windows. Finally, he started a call for testing to get more people from the community exploring the features of 2.39 before the stable release.

Martin and Alan have been non-stop working with all the special guests of this summit, testing the early builds, offering advice on ways to improve the packaging, integrating the release of the snap into their pipelines, and removing unnecessary parts of the snaps to make them smaller. They were also constantly seen using an audio chat to talk to each other, despite being at the same table. Expect a new and shiny release to the mumble snap!

James has been working on the much expected feature to let users give access to individual files/directories, instead of granting the applications full access to your home. He’s also doing an amazing job at reducing the amount of time that it will take snapcraft to generate a fully self-contained application. That is work in progress, so something to look forward for the 2.40 release, later in the month.

Sergio, as mentioned before, worked on the 2.39 release. Get it on Linux with sudo snap install snapcraft –candidate, or on Mac with brew install snapcraft.

And now is time for us to celebrate. Cheers for a bright year full of snaps!

Simos Xenitellis: Installing the Go programming language in Ubuntu

Pre, 02/02/2018 - 10:34md
Go is a programming language and is available in most Linux distributions. Sometime Go is preinstalled, other times we need to install ourselves, or we need to update the existing version to a newer version. Go in Ubuntu 16.04 Ubuntu 16.04 comes with Go version 1.6. The package name is golang (same as their website …

Continue reading

Simos Xenitellis: How to use lxc remote with the LXD snap

Enj, 01/02/2018 - 9:01md
Background: LXD is a hypervisor that manages machine containers on Linux distributions. You install LXD on your Linux distribution and then you can launch machine containers into your distribution running all sort of (other) Linux distributions. You have installed the LXD snap and you are happy using it. However, you are developing LXD and you …

Continue reading

Raphaël Hertzog: My Free Software Activities in January 2018

Enj, 01/02/2018 - 4:08md

My monthly report covers a large part of what I have been doing in the free software world. I write it for my donors (thanks to them!) but also for the wider Debian community because it can give ideas to newcomers and it’s one of the best ways to find volunteers to work with me on projects that matter to me.

Debian LTS

While I continue to manage the administrative side of Debian LTS, I’m taking a break of the technical work (i.e. preparing and releasing security updates). The hope is that it will help me focus more on my book which (still) needs to be updated for stretch. In truth, this did not happen in January but I hope to do better in the upcoming months.

Salsa and related

The switch to is a major event in our community. Last month I started with the QA team and the distro-tracker repository as an experiment. This month I took this opportunity to bring to fruition a merge between the pkg-security team and the forensics team that I already proposed in the past and that we postponed because it was deemed busy work for no gains. Now that both teams had to migrate anyway, it was easier to migrate everything at once under a single project.

All our repositories are now managed under the same team in salsa: But for the mailing list we are still waiting for the new list to be created on (#888136).

As part of this work, I contributed some fixes to the scripts maintained by Mehdi Dogguy. I also filed a wishlist request for a new script to make it easy to share repositories with the Debian group.

With the expected demise of alioth mailing lists, there’s some interest in getting the Debian package tracker to host the official maintainer email. As the central hub for most emails related to packages, it seems natural indeed. We made some progress lately on making it possible to use emails (with the downside of receiving duplicate emails currently) but that’s not an really an option when you maintain many packages and want to see them grouped under the same maintainer email. Furthermore it doesn’t allow for automatic association of a package to its maintainer team. So I implemented a email that works for each team registered on the package tracker and that will automatically associate the package to its team. The email is just a black hole for now (not really a problem as most automatic emails are already received through another email) but I expect to forward non-automatic mails to team members to make it useful as a way to discuss between team members.

The package tracker also learned to recognize commit mails generated by GitLab and it will now forward them to the source package whose name is matching the name of the GitLab project that generated them (see #886114).

Misc Debian stuff

Distro Tracker. I got my two first merge requests which I reviewed and merged. One adds native HTML support to toggle action items (i.e. without javascript on recent browsers) and the other improves some of the messages shown by the vcswatch integration. In #886450, we discussed how to better filter build failure mails sent by the build daemons. New headers have been added.

Bug reports and patches. I forwarded and/or got moving a couple of bugs that we encountered in Kali (glibc: new data brought to #820826, raspi3-firmware: #887062, glibc: tracking down #886506 to a glibc regression affecting busybox, gr-fcdproplus: #888853 new watch file, gjs: upstream bug #33). I also needed a new feature in live-build so I filed #888507 which I implemented almost immediately (but released only in Kali because it’s not documented yet and can possibly be improved a bit further).

While doing my yearly accounting, I opened an issue on tryton and pushed a fix after approval. While running unit tests on distro-tracker, I got an unexpected warning that seems to be caused by virtualenv (see upstream issue #1120).

Debian Packaging. I uploaded zim 0.68~rc1-1 to experimental.


See you next month for a new summary of my activities.

No comment | Liked this article? Click here. | My blog is Flattr-enabled.

Daniel Pocock: Our future relationship with FSFE

Enj, 01/02/2018 - 2:19md

Below is an email that has been distributed to the FSFE community today. FSFE aims to be an open organization and people are welcome to discuss it through the main discussion group (join, thread and reply) whether you are a member or not.

For more information about joining FSFE, local groups, campaigns and other activities please visit the FSFE web site. The "No Cloud" stickers and the Public Money Public Code campaign are examples of initiatives started by FSFE - you can request free stickers and posters by filling in this form.

Dear FSFE Community,

I'm writing to you today as one of your elected fellowship representatives rather than to convey my own views, which you may have already encountered in my blog or mailing list discussions.

The recent meeting of the General Assembly (GA) decided that the annual elections will be abolished but this change has not yet been ratified in the constitution.

Personally, I support an overhaul of FSFE's democratic processes and the bulk of the reasons for this change are quite valid. One of the reasons proposed for the change, the suggestion that the election was a popularity contest, is an argument I don't agree with: the same argument could be used to abolish elections anywhere.

One point that came up in discussions about the elections is that people don't need to wait for the elections to be considered for GA membership. Matthias Kirschner, our president, has emphasized this to me personally as well, he looks at each new request with an open mind and forwards it to all of the GA for discussion. According to our constitution, anybody can write to the president at any time and request to join the GA. In practice, the president and the existing GA members will probably need to have seen some of your activities in one of the FSFE teams or local groups before accepting you as a member. I want to encourage people to become familiar with the GA membership process and discuss it within their teams and local groups and think about whether you or anybody you know may be a good candidate.

According to the minutes of the last GA meeting, several new members were already accepted this way in the last year. It is particularly important for the organization to increase diversity in the GA at this time.

The response rate for the last fellowship election was lower than in previous years and there is also concern that emails don't reach everybody thanks to spam filters or the Google Promotions tab (if you use gmail). If you had problems receiving emails about the last election, please consider sharing that feedback on the discussion list.

Understanding where the organization will go beyond the extinction of the fellowship representative is critical. The Identity review process, championed by Jonas Oberg and Kristi Progri, is actively looking at these questions. Please contact Kristi if you wish to participate and look out for updates about this process in emails and Planet FSFE. Kristi will be at FOSDEM this weekend if you want to speak to her personally.

I'll be at FOSDEM this weekend and would welcome the opportunity to meet with you personally. I will be visiting many different parts of FOSDEM at different times, including the FSFE booth, the Debian booth, the real-time lounge (K-building) and the Real-Time Communications (RTC) dev-room on Sunday, where I'm giving a talk. Many other members of the FSFE community will also be present, if you don't know where to start, simply come to the FSFE booth. The next European event I visit after FOSDEM will potentially be OSCAL in Tirana, it is in May and I would highly recommend this event for anybody who doesn't regularly travel to events outside their own region.

Changing the world begins with the change we make ourselves. If you only do one thing for free software this year and you are not sure what it is going to be, then I would recommend this: visit an event that you never visited before, in a city or country you never visited before. It doesn't necessarily have to be a free software or IT event. In 2017 I attended OSCAL in Tirana and the Digital-Born Media Carnival in Kotor for the first time. You can ask FSFE to send you some free stickers and posters (online request with optional donation) to give to the new friends you meet on your travels. Change starts with each of us doing something new or different and I hope our paths may cross in one of these places.

For more information about joining FSFE, local groups, campaigns and other activities please visit the FSFE web site.

Please feel free to discuss this through the FSFE discussion group (join, thread and reply)

Jeremy Bicha: logo.png for default avatar for GitLab repos

Mër, 31/01/2018 - 4:13pd

Debian and GNOME have both recently adopted self-hosted GitLab for their git hosting. GNOME’s service is named simply ; Debian’s has the more intriguing name . If you ask the Salsa sysadmins, they’ll explain that they were in a Mexican restaurant when they needed to decide on a name!

There’s a useful under-documented feature I found. If you place a logo.png in the root of your repository, it will be automatically used as the default “avatar” for your project (in other words, the logo that shows up on the web page next to your project).

I added a logo.png to GNOME Tweaks at GNOME and it automatically showed up in Salsa when I imported the new version.

Other Notes

I first tried with a symlink to my app icon, but it didn’t work. I had to actually copy the icon.

The logo.png convention doesn’t seem to be supported at GitHub currently.

Daniel Pocock: Fair communication requires mutual consent

Mar, 30/01/2018 - 9:33md

I was pleased to read Shirish Agarwal's blog in reply to the blog I posted last week Do the little things matter?

Given the militaristic theme used in my own post, I was also somewhat amused to see news this week of the Strava app leaking locations and layouts of secret US military facilities like Area 51. What a way to mark International Data Privacy Day. Maybe rather than inadvertently misleading people to wonder if I was suggesting that Gmail users don't make their beds, I should have emphasized that Admiral McRaven's boot camp regime for Navy SEALS needs to incorporate some of my suggestions about data privacy?

A highlight of Agarwal's blog is his comment I usually wait for a day or more when I feel myself getting inflamed/heated and I wish this had occurred in some of the other places where my ideas were discussed. Even though my ideas are sometimes provocative, I would kindly ask people to keep point 2 of the Debian Code of Conduct in mind, Assume good faith.

One thing that became clear to me after reading Agarwal's blog is that some people saw my example one-line change to Postfix's configuration as a suggestion that people need to run their own mail server. In fact, I had seen such comments before but I hadn't realized why people were reaching a conclusion that I expect everybody to run a mail server. The purpose of that line was simply to emphasize the content of the proposed bounce message, to help people understand, the receiver of an email may never have agreed to Google's non-privacy policy but if you do use Gmail, you impose that surveillance regime on them, and not just yourself, if you send them a message from a Gmail account.

Communication requires mutual agreement about the medium. Think about it another way: if you go to a meeting with your doctor and some stranger in a foreign military uniform is in the room, you might choose to leave and find another doctor rather than communicate under surveillance.

As it turns out, many people are using alternative email services, even if they only want a web interface. There is already a feature request discussion in ProtonMail about letting users choose to opt-out of receiving messages monitored by Google and send back the bounce message suggested in my blog. Would you like to have that choice, even if you didn't use it immediately? You can vote for that issue or leave your own feedback comments in there too.

Stuart Langridge: And Everything

Mar, 30/01/2018 - 11:36pd
“Rule Forty-two. All persons more than a mile high to leave the court.”
Everybody looked at Alice.
“I”m not a mile high,” said Alice.
“You are,” said the King.
“Nearly two miles high,” added the Queen.
“Well, I shan’t go, at any rate,” said Alice: “besides, that’s not a regular rule: you invented it just now.”
“It’s the oldest rule in the book,” said the King.
“Then it ought to be Number One,” said Alice.

It’s my birthday (again.........). I’m 21, for the second time around. Hooray!

So far it’s been a nice day, with lots of people wishing me happy birthday from midnight last night (including a rather lovely thing from Jono). I got a cool shirt off mum and dad, which I shall be wearing for this evening’s venture to Ghetto Golf, a sort of weird crazy golf place which is all neon and skulls and graffiti, with cocktails.

Dinner with Niamh this afternoon, too, which is cool. I’m still as worried about the future and the world as I was this time last year, but I can have a day off for my birthday. And I have friends. This helps. So I can do nice things; write some code, maybe publish the talk I did at Hackference, solve a problem or two. Eat biscuits. You know. Nice things. No ironing.

Many happy returns, me.

Jono Bacon: Happy Birthday, Stuart

Mar, 30/01/2018 - 9:03pd

In the year 2000, I was a long-haired student enthralled with open source and Linux. I set up a Linux user group in England as a means to meet other open source people, and one evening, in strolled a red-headed gentleman. Riddled with ideas and opinions, I didn’t realize that evening that he would end up becoming my best pal.

What followed was not just a friendship, but over 15 years of collaborating together. We started LugRadio, which resulted in hundreds of episodes and multiple live shows in the UK and USA. We followed that up with Shot of Jaq, and our current podcast, Bad Voltage, which has our other partner in crime in it, Jeremy Garcia.

Outside of podcasting, we designed and built a somewhat short-lived audio multi-track audio editor, Jokosher, and countless other little ideas, prototypes, and experiments. We flew around the world to various conferences, spent literally hours on the phone debating the nuances of technology, and blew the froth off many a cold one solving the world.

The LugRadio Team

It was clear that what clicked with us is that we were both captivated by a journey into this newly forming collaborative technological age and associated communities, and part of the joy was sharing this experience together.

As our friendship grew though, I realized that this wasn’t just about nerding out.

Stuart is the definition of a good person, and a great friend. He is kind, generous, warm. He brings a blunt force of logic in illogical situations and an equally blunt kindness in tough times. He has always been there for the major changes in my life, such as moving to the USA, getting married, having a kid, and switching jobs. He provides both a voice of inspiration as well as reason. He even flew to California from the UK for a weekend just to join my previous birthday (and the surprise party Erica threw).

He balances the perfect mix of hilariously forthright opinion matched with gentle nuance and care for those close to him. I have often thought of him as the entire mix of the Top Gear team: the comically opinionated Clarkson, the adventurous Hammond, the dry wit of May, and the importance of the friendship they all share.

A great talk he did about the UX of text – check it out.

This has resulted in Stuart becoming someone who is well loved by his friends, peers, and fans. He is not just a brilliant web consultant, a well-respected member of the web and open source communities, and a talented podcaster, but he is someone people want to be around, myself included.

Stuart, happy birthday. While today is a day when people typically give you gifts, I want to thank you for the gift of being such a good friend, year after year. Love you, pal, and I look forward to seeing you tweeting about how terrible the music is in the pub tonight.

The post Happy Birthday, Stuart appeared first on Jono Bacon.

Clive Johnston: New artwork for Falkon, do you have any ideas?

Hën, 29/01/2018 - 10:37md

This past few days there has been some interesting developments over at the Falkon project on KDE Phabricator, especially interesting is this task

The lead developer has called for submissions on a new logo for Falkon.  One of the current submissions, which I must say I love, is shown below by Andres Betts who is on the KDE VDG team.

Designed by Andres Betts KDE VDG

Do you have ideas on what the new logo should be?  Please head over to the task and post your ideas.

Also, if you want to help test Falkon, you can grab it from my PPA –

Jeremy Bicha: GNOME Tweaks 3.28 Progress Report 1

Hën, 29/01/2018 - 10:07md

A few days ago, I released GNOME Tweaks 3.27.4, a development snapshot on the way to the next stable version 3.28 which will be released alongside GNOME 3.28 in March. Here are some highlights of what’s changed since 3.26.

New Name (Part 2)

For 3.26, we renamed GNOME Tweak Tool to GNOME Tweaks. It was only a partial rename since many underlying parts still used the gnome-tweak-tool name. For 3.28, we have completed the rename. We have renamed the binary, the source tarball releases, the git repository, the .desktop, and app icons. For upgrade compatibility, the autostart file and helper script for the Suspend on Lid Close inhibitor keeps the old name.

New Home

GNOME Tweaks has moved from the classic GNOME Git and Bugzilla to the new GNOME-hosted The new hosting includes git hosting, a bug tracker and merge requests. Much of GNOME Core has moved this cycle, and I expect many more projects will move for the 3.30 cycle later this year.

Dark Theme Switch Removed

As promised, the Global Dark Theme switch has been removed. Read my previous post for more explanation of why it’s removed and a brief mention of how theme developers should adapt (provide a separate Dark theme!).

Improved Theme Handling

The theme chooser has been improved in several small ways. Now that it’s quite possible to have a GNOME desktop without any gtk2 apps, it doesn’t make sense to require that a theme provide a gtk2 version to show up in the theme chooser so that requirement has been dropped.

The theme chooser will no longer show the same theme name multiple times if you have a system-wide installed theme and a theme in your user theme directory with the same name. Additionally, GNOME Tweaks does better at supporting the  XDG_DATA_DIRS standard in case you use custom locations to store your themes or gsettings overrides.

GNOME Tweaks 3.27.4 with the HighContrastInverse theme

Finally, gtk3 still offers a HighContrastInverse theme but most people probably weren’t aware of that since it didn’t show up in Tweaks. It does now! It is much darker than Adwaita Dark.

Several of these theme improvements (including HighContrastInverse) have also been included in 3.26.4.

For more details about what’s changed and who’s done the changing, see the project NEWS file.

Simos Xenitellis: Checking the Ubuntu Linux kernel updates on Spectre and Meltdown

Hën, 29/01/2018 - 5:40md
Here is the status page for the Ubuntu updates on Spectre and Meltdown. For a background on these vulnerabilities, see the Meltdown and Spectre Attacks website. In this post we are trying out the Spectre & Meltdown Checker on different versions of the stock Ubuntu Linux kernel. Trying the Spectre & Meltdown Checker before any …

Continue reading

Simos Xenitellis: How to make your LXD containers get IP addresses from your LAN using a bridge

Hën, 29/01/2018 - 5:11md
Background: LXD is a hypervisor that manages machine containers on Linux distributions. You install LXD on your Linux distribution and then you can launch machine containers into your distribution running all sort of (other) Linux distributions. In the previous post, we saw how to get our LXD container to receive an IP address from the …

Continue reading

Ted Gould: Jekyll and Mastodon

Hën, 29/01/2018 - 1:00pd

A while back I moved my website to Jekyll for all the static-y goodness that provides. Recently I was looking to add Mastodon to my domain as well. Doing so with Jekyll isn't hard, but searching for it seemed like something no one had written up. For your searchable pleasure I am writing it up.

I used to put the Mastodon instance at But I wanted my Mastodon address to be To do that you need to link the domain to point at To do that you need a .well-known/host-meta file that redirects webfinger to the Mastodon instance:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?> <XRD xmlns=''> <!-- Needed for Mastodon --> <Link rel='lrdd' type='application/xrd+xml' template='{uri}' /> </XRD>

The issue is that Jekyll doesn't copy static files that are in hidden directories. This is good for if you have a Git repository, so it doesn't copy the .git directory. We can get around this by using Jekyll's YAML front matter to set the location of the file.

--- layout: null permalink: /.well-known/host-meta --- <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?> <XRD xmlns=''> <!-- Needed for Mastodon --> <Link rel='lrdd' type='application/xrd+xml' template='{uri}' /> </XRD>

This file can then be placed anywhere, and Jekyll will put it in the right location on the static site. And you can folow me as even though my Mastodon instance is

Jorge Castro: Updating your CNCF Developer Affiliation

Hën, 29/01/2018 - 1:00pd

The Cloud Native Computing Foundation uses gitdm to figue out who is contributing and from where. This is used to generate reports and so forth.

There is a huge text file where they are mapping email addresses used and affiliation. It probably doesn’t hurt to check your entry, for example, here’s mine:

Jorge O. Castro*: jorge.castro! Lemon Ice Lemon Location City until 2017-05-01 Lemon Travel Smart Vacation Club until 2015-06-01

Whoa? What? This is what a corrected entry looks like, as you can see it takes into account where you used to work for correctness:

Jorge O. Castro*: jorge!, jorge!, jorge.castro! Heptio Canonical until 2017-03-31

As an aside this also really makes a nice rolodex for looking up people. :D